Google My Business is a powerful tool that helps business owners manage their online presence across Google, including Search and Maps. With it, businesses can post updates, respond to reviews, and see insights into how customers search for their business. However, there might come a time when you wish to remove your business listing, either because your business has closed, changed its operation model, or for other personal reasons. This article will guide you through deleting your Google My Business account.
Before You Begin: Things to Keep in Mind
Deleting a Google My Business account has several implications. Before you take any actions, it’s essential to be aware of the consequences:
- Data Loss: All business information, reviews, posts, and photos will be permanently removed from Google.
- Visibility: Your business will no longer appear on Google Search and Maps. To list your business again, you must start from scratch.
- Other Users: If other users manage or own the business profile, they’ll also lose access upon deletion.
Steps to Delete Your Google Business Account
If you’ve assessed the consequences and decided to move forward, here are the steps to delete your Google My Business account:
- 1. Sign In, Visit the Google My Business website, and use the Google account associated with the business listing.
- 2. Select Your Business: If multiple businesses are listed, click on the one you want to delete.
- 3. Navigate to Settings: On the dashboard’s left panel, click the ‘Settings’ or ‘Manage locations’ option, depending on your view.
- 4. Scroll Down: In the settings page, scroll down to the ‘Remove this listing’ or ‘Delete this business’ section.
- 5. Delete Option: Click on the ‘Delete’ button. You will be presented with a series of confirmations and warnings about the implications of your actions.
- 6. Confirm Deletion: After reading and understanding the consequences, confirm your intent to delete the account. Remember, this action is permanent.
Mark Your Business as Permanently Closed
If you’re closing your business but wish to keep its online record for historical purposes, there’s an alternative to complete deletion:
- 1. Sign In, Access the Google My Business website, and log in.
- 2. Choose Your Business: Click on the business you wish to mark as closed.
- 3. Info Tab: Click the ‘Info’ tab on the dashboard.
- 4. Close Business: Find the ‘Close or remove this listing’ section. Choose the ‘Mark as permanently closed’ option.
- 5. Confirm: Google will ask for a confirmation. Once confirmed, your business will be marked as closed, but the listing will remain on Google.
Deleting a Google My Business account is significant, especially if your business has a substantial online presence. Ensure you understand the implications and are making an informed decision. Whether you’re closing your business or merely shifting strategies, the tools provided by Google offer flexibility in managing your online footprint.